Choose your state:
1.800.563.0012

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

It may be odorless, but it’s certainly far from harmless.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a very poisonous gas that is invisible, odorless and tasteless, and it can build up to dangerous levels in any home. Even yours.

CO comes from the incomplete combustion of common fuels such as natural gas, propane, heating oil, gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal and kerosene, and from almost any combustible material such as tobacco, cloth and paper. Cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust create the most significant sources of regular CO exposure for most people, but just about any appliance or machine that burns a fuel has the ability to produce CO if it’s malfunctioning. Problems such as a crack in your furnace, a clogged chimney, or simply warming up your car in the garage — even with the garage door open — can build up danger ous levels of carbon monoxide.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A person exposed to carbon monoxide may complain of a headache, dizziness, nausea or fatigue, and other symptoms similar to the flu. In severe cases, it can cause unconscious ness, brain or heart damage... or death. If you experience flu-like symptoms that go away when you leave your home, suspect CO poisoning. Children, pets and the elderly are especially vulnerable.

If you have symptoms that might be CO poisoning, you should have everyone leave the premises — including your pets, if you can safely take them with you.  Seek medical attention immediately, especially if all the residents of a home are suffering from the same symptoms at the same time, or if the symptoms improve when you leave the house. Then call SourceGas or another qualified technician to come check your home for carbon monoxide.

If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, leave immediately and get fresh air. Then call 800-563-0012 to have a SourceGas technician diagnose the situation, or call 911.

SourceGas recommends you have a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home, and we offer them for sale to our customers.